A normal Christmas?

Home Forums Everything Caregiving A normal Christmas?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Profile photo of Valerie Valerie 6 months, 4 weeks ago.

• Author

Tony Forti

Are any of you having a normal Christmas this year? Doing the family dinner thing? Opening presents around a tree? Keeping up your holiday traditions?

I do what I can to keep things normal for my family, but it’s hard. I guess I’d love to know how other people do it. Or feel better knowing I’m not the only one whose Christmas feels totally different.

• #59407 Reply

Theresa Loder

At this time my hubby has been in and out of the hospital and Re Hab six times since September..he is just back in Re Hab from the hospital..
    we are both fighters .. he has come through a stroke , heart attack , open heart , 4 way with new aortic valve , and many other surgeries and infections .. going on 10 years now..
    So each year at Christmas has been very different .. I don’t look for normal .. but the thing that grounds us is the celebration of the birth of Jesus..
    at times I have to hitch on to the celebration of others and rejoice in their happiness..
    Wrap myself in the lights and colors and music of Christmas..
    One year I spent in a hotel nearby the nursing home eating the free breakfast and listening to all the travelers talking about where they are headed..
    A few years my hubby was actually well enough to go to my sons for Christmas and we both enjoyed family..
    Today I am going to my sons and we are all going over to the nursing home to visit and celebrate as much as we can .. many are going through personal challenges at this time of year .. I have had my cry and pulled myself together yet again and am ready for whatever the day brings
    One day at a time ..
    Sending love and prayers out to all of you
    Take care
    Theresa

• #59414 Reply
    Profile photo of Valerie
    Valerie

Absolutely everything I do depends on whether or not my son can access the place we’re going, or any number of other obstacles. In the old days, Thanksgiving and Christmas were always at our house. Then as the family grew and our house got smaller, I gifted my oldest daughter with my china and serving dishes, and she took over the holiday celebration. Since my son’s accident (2007, his friend fell asleep at the wheel, causing my son massive brain injuries, and leg injuries that resulted in having his right leg amputated) our holidays are more quiet and usually spent at home. We have a tabletop tree, and usually don’t go anywhere on Christmas, because we live where it snows, and I don’t care for driving in the snow. I also have to be able to maneuver him in and out of our car. I know that to some people it seems like we’re ‘missing out’ on big Christmas celebrations – but I’m just immensely grateful that our son is alive and well, that he’s not in the horrific nursing home he had to live in for 18 months, and that we can enjoy our good health.

Reply To: A normal Christmas?
Your information: