Caregiving again

Home Forums Everything Caregiving Caregiving again

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  ravenmxc 5 months ago.

• Author

Sabina

I passed up a college scholarship to take care of my grandparents. We thought it would just be for a short time, but my grandmother hung on for years. I couldn’t leave them once I’d moved in to care for them, it would go against the whole point of me starting to take care of them. In the end, I never went to college and I feel like my career — and finances for my whole life — reflects that. I wish I could have done both, but I can’t say I regret caring for them. Someone had to do it and it seemed like my role at the time.

Then my mother fell ill. I moved back home with her and worked part-time while taking care of her for several years.

Now I’m finally employed full-time and feel like my career is moving ahead. It’s hard finding a job without a degree and with these big gaps in my job history. I never had time to date when I was caregiving, so I don’t have someone else to help me.

Now my aunt is ill. It feels like everyone is turning to me to step in again and care for her. I just can’t. What do I do?

• #57614 Reply

ravenmxc

I found myself in the same spot as you. I took this as an opportunity to work in the health care field itself and care for others. After all the experiences you have, you’re bound to have some useful skills that others may benefit from, and would be willing to pay for it.

That said, in regards to your aunt, it is okay to say that your are overwhelmed and unable to provide the care she needs. In my own particular circumstance, I tried to teach my parents how to be as independent and safe as possible using different tools and aids available on the market. http://www.helpmedevices.com is one good resource, but I’m sure there are tons out there.

In addition, it never hurts to consult the family doctor as they could have suggestions or links on how they could be assessed in the home. I did that and found a home safety audit done by a rehabilitation professional was all I really needed to allow my parents to safely bathe on their own again without me being there to supervise.

I hope this helps. Know that you are not alone in your struggles, many people have been through the same thing.

Reply To: Caregiving again
Your information: