Spousal Caregiver Research at Saint Anselm College

Home Forums Everything Caregiving Spousal Caregiver Research at Saint Anselm College

This topic contains 10 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Cynthia Cynthia 1 week, 3 days ago.

• Author

Elizabeth Gallagher
    Participant

Are you a caregiver for your spouse?

We are interested in understanding the experience of being a spousal caregiver.
    This project includes an approximately one-hour interview.
    Participants will receive a $15 Target gift card!
    Please contact us if you are interested or for more information

Elizabeth Gallagher
    Saint Anselm College
    Egallagher@anselm.edu
    339-832-1153

• #62662 Reply

TIM

My wife has Huntington Disease. I have been her full time caregiver for 6 years. We have been married 26 years, she was diagnosed in 2009.

• #62669 Reply

Rusty Short

My husband was an ER physician and a very good one. I am a nurse practitioner in private practice. In Jan2006 he suffered a hemorrhagic stroke while driving his car home from a long shift. He was in a coma for two weeks and in the hospital and rehab for almost a year. I tried multiple rehabs inpatient, outpatient…got scammed into an inpatient rehab that claimed to be stroke rehab certified, and was absolutely not. Horrible experience. Took him out of there and brought him home after several horrifying experiences including an injury. Have been his caregiver at home since 2007. I have no help. I still work fulltime. It is very, very difficult. I could not do it if I weren’t self employed. He later had a BKA, a broken hip, and I could go on and on. It has robbed me of the last ten years of my life, but we have no family that can help so it is what it is.

• #62682 Reply

Margie Atkins

I have taken care of my husband for almost 4 years as the sole caregiver 24/7. He was in a construction accident and has TBI.

• #62715 Reply

Allison

I’ve just begun my journey with my husband. 53 years old and diagnosed with Alzheimer’s. Having just come away from getting my mom through the dreaded disease after several years of being at home (she’s now in a facility — has been for 5 years), (and my father, understanding what was happening with mom), I am now faced with it again — this time as the afflicted’s spouse. I have a very long road ahead of me.

• #62800 Reply
    Profile photo of Allan Ament
    Allan Ament

My wife suffered an ischemic stroke in 2005 at a time we were both semi-retired and living in a new community. Our family were a minimum of 1000 miles away. While she came out of he stroke perhaps better than many — able to talk, non paralysed, capable of handling many of her daily activities, her lack zecutive functioning, balance and endurance, and other deficits meant she required 24/7 care after her return home two months post-stroke. I have been her caregiver since. My experiences during he first three years were the subject of my published memoir, Learning to Float. We had bee married for 17 years Whalen the stroke occurred and had been in-residence care giver for my wife’s aunt for 2 1/2 years before her death, at age 91, she 3 months earlier. While I am often comfortable with, or at resigned to, our “new normal,” this was not how either of us thought we would be spending these years.

• #62816 Reply

Dave Nassaney

I am a caregiver to my wife, Charlene,for 21 years now from a stroke, she lost her speech and has right side paralysis. I wrote 3 books, I have a blog, a radio show and a website to help other caregivers to avoid burnout and survive the grief process. I will be speaking at Harvard in July this year.

• #62817 Reply

Dave Nassaney

I am 63, She is 73, We have been married for 42 years

• #63784 Reply

Paula Shadburn

My husband is 55 years young, and I am 51. We’ve been married 32 years. He has RP. He’s legally blind, it’s been four years since he was diagnosed. The disease is incurable. My mom moved in with us when we got married. She developed dementia seven years ago. She passed away March 2016. During this time I’ve had A Thyroidectomy due to cancer. Along with fibromyalgia, Sleep Apnea, PCOS, osteoarthritis, depression and now heart issues. (It’s more than a broken heart) I’m stressed to my limits. Some days I stay in bed all day. If I get up, I must face reality.

• #63840 Reply

Ellen Bentley

Interested in participating in your spousal caregiver research. I’m 68. Husband is 82. We’ve been married 6 years. He has Parkinson’s (has had it 20 years+). He currently has significant memory loss and Mild Cognitive Impairment globally.

Look forward to hearing from you if your study has not closed.
    Thanks
    EPB

• #65530 Reply
    Profile photo of Cynthia
    Cynthia

Hi. I’m brand new to the caregiver space. I am caregiver to my husband who was diagnosed with stage IV lung cancer almost 2.5 years ago. We’ve been married over 20 years and have 2 daughters together. I’m 53, he’s 56. I have been reading some of the posts of others and am amazed at how many have been caring for their spouse for more than a decade. Makes me feel a bit sheepish at the negative feelings I’ve been having for the past 6 months. Feeling sorry for myself that this is where our life is now and we had such big plans for retirement. Resentment for how cancer has changed our life. I see the email in the original post – to participate in the study I imagine we have to email Eliabeth and since it was 3 months ago, maybe they are finished. I may email anyway. Best wishes to you all.

Reply To: Spousal Caregiver Research at Saint Anselm College
Your information: