Spousal Caregivers

My Most Important Lifeline

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Patricia 3 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Adrienne Gruberg
    Adrienne Gruberg
    Participant

I founded The Caregiver Space when my husband passed away. Getting involved in a conversation on spousal caregiving was one of the most important tools a husband or wife has as one cares. Here’s my story, in brief.

When my husband was diagnosed with Stage 1A Lung Cancer in 2005. We were told surgery was necessary and although his cancer would go into remission, it was the kind that would soon come back. After a year of caring for him after three surgeries, I began to look for emotional support online. I found it.

For four years, every Monday night for 90 minutes, I would get online for a spousal chat with other wives of cancer patients. Learning I didn’t have to go through this disease alone and understanding his prognosis, being with others sharing the experience was amazingly helpful.

I learned about pre-grieving with the finality of his diagnosis and grieving the changes to and loss of the life we shared while he was alive. I also believe that no matter what the ailment a spouse may be suffering——even a broken leg which involves short-term caregiving——it’s wonderful to have supportive people in your life.

Please join this discussion. If you have any questions, or if I can help direct you, you can email me at adrienne@thecaregiverspace.org.

Hugs to all–Adrienne

• #61071 Reply

Patricia

My husband has been diagnosed with Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis not cancer. Is this group for me?❤

• #61075 Reply
    Profile photo of Adrienne Gruberg
    Adrienne Gruberg
    Participant

Patricia –

Absolutely. The Caregiver Space is here for caregivers of everything and anything that is a health issue – whether it is mental health, childhood illnesses, Alzheimer’s, cancer, diabetes, heart disease or Pulmonary Fibrosis. Welcome. The caregiver’s challenges have a great deal in common no matter the cause. You may well have issues people aren’t familiar with, but if you tell us about them, share them, we’re here to listen and give you feedback that will buoy you in all of your efforts.

Looking forward to hearing from you again.

Hugs, Adrienne Gruberg, Founder and President

• #62082 Reply

Patricia

Thank you so much❤

Reply To: My Most Important Lifeline
Your information: