Young caregivers

Caregiving Anthology submission call – hope this is ok to post…

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Profile photo of CALNEN Annie Swingen 3 months ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of CALNEN
    Annie Swingen

Hi all –

I’m actually 38 but hope I’m still considered young :). I am a caregiver for my mom who suffers from MS as well as a schizoaffective diagnosis. She was diagnosed with both back in the 1980s and I took over managing her care in 2005. While she now lives in assisted living, it’s still a lot of work as you all know. Every time I feel like I’ve maxed out, something else happens and I guess you just keep going?

Anyway, I hope it OK to post this here…I secured a grant to write a Caregiving Anthology because I don’t think there are enough resources out there for us. More often than not I get a pat on the head and told I am a good daughter…what I want to hear is “that’s effed up, man” or practical strategies to streamline our lives.

Below is a summary of the anthology project. I’d love to hear from any of you who are interested in submitting. Feel free to email me at annieswingen@gmail.com and we can go back and forth that way or chat on the phone.

I live in Chicago. Thank you so much and keeping kicking ass.

CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS FOR CAREGIVING ANTHOLOGY

With funds generously granted from the Donner Foundation, we are in the process of assembling a Caregiving Anthology with the working title: “Caregiving Chronicles: Humor and Stoicism from the Cradle to the Grave”.

The project’s mission is to capture the raw, real life obstacles and barriers facing caregivers, and also acknowledge the privilege and joy that comes with caregiving Our priority is curating honest content that not only provides resources to readers, but a sense of community and validation for some of our funniest and/or darkest thoughts.

Questions to consider: What you wish you knew beforehand? Are you resentful? Grateful? Both? How do you interact with/educate medical professionals? Etc. It can be a story that illustrates what it is to be a caregiver, or a summative piece.

The anthology will be divided into five sections:
    1. Caring for Children
    2. Caring for Peers
    3. Caring for Aging Adults
    4. Caring for the Caregiver
    5. Resource appendix

GUIDELINES:
    • Word count: 1500-3000. Poetry, illustrations or other creative writing submissions are also acceptable.
    • Due June 1. Email: annieswingen@gmail.com
    • Authors of selected submissions will receive a modest stipend, hard copy and digital copy of the book for distribution.
    • Authors can be current caregivers or previously served in the role.

Once complete, the book will be professionally edited and laid out for printing. Our goal is get the anthology in the hands of as many caregivers as possible; any profits made will go into the printing of additional books to increase distribution to medical professionals, caregiving networks, etc.

CO-EDITORS:
    Nikki Knepper – LCPC, published author and blogger at Moms Who Drink and Swear (over 1 million Facebook followers) and caregiver to her mother (who is on hospice and suffers from chronic obstructive pulmonary disorder and vascular dementia) and daughter, Cate, who has Mild Mixed Spastic Diplegr

Dr. Lydia Manning – Associate Professor of Gerontology and Department Head, Concordia University (Chicago)

Annie Swingen – Communications professional and caregiver to her mother who suffers from progressive Multiple Sclerosis and a schizoaffective diagnosis.

This indeed a labor of love for us all and hope that you will consider helping us build a solid cadre of authors willing to share their respective stories. Please let me know if you have any colleagues/friends/comrades who would be interested in joining us. Please reach out if you are interested.

Thank you again for your consideration.

Annie Swingen
    annieswingen@gmail.com

Reply To: Caregiving Anthology submission call – hope this is ok to post…
Your information: