power of attorney

Home Forums Everything Caregiving power of attorney

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 8 months ago.

• Author

i am full time caregiver for my 94 year old father and everyday is a new learning experience in dealing with the elderly…If you are a caregiver of an aging parent make sure you have Power of Attorney.. Last week I took my dad to the bank to cash a cd and he didn’t hear the lady ask him why he was there and he said “I dont know ” his stock answer for everything he does not hear. the bank demanded to see the original doc with my power of attorney ( refused to see a copy) and then proceeded to tell me the doc did not specifically say cd even though it said all financial transactions the next day the police showed up at my home and now theyr are investigating me for exploiting his money… I have taken care of him for 7 years now.. he lives in my home. I prepare his meals, do his laundry, clean his room and bathroom, take him back and forth to doctors, give him his meds and make sure he follows a low potassium diet … but I am exploiting him.. to make things worse they have frozen his accounts till the investigation is complete and His checks for his health insurance and life insurance have bounced, his policies have lapsed and there are now fees on his account as well … I also could not pay for his prescriptions becasue his debit card was frozen… SO make sure your ducks are in a row and if you need to do any financial transactions make sure
    Like Comment Share

• #48928 Reply

Lorrie

barbara,
    I am sorry that you are going through this. My mother will not give me power of attorney at all. She’s 87 and in a nursing home,due to “failure to thrive” at home. I am the only surviving relative,and I’d like to get a life estate deed,so that upon her death,the house goes to me,saving it from the nursing home,and probate. But as I stated in the beginning,I need to have that one important piece of paper. I was lucky that my father did give it to me before he passed,it helped alot. So,I guess that I will have to wait until she is gone,before I proceed.I already have went to 3 lawyers to make sure there wasn’t a way around this mess,but there isn’t. I wish you all the luck and must needed rest for you in the future.

• #61308 Reply

Anonymous

Yeah, it is very important to have a power of attorney. In my friend’s case, his 80 year old grandmother granted him power of attorney. To be on a safer side, he also confirmed the documents and all the terms and conditions once with a lawyer like on http://www.societe.com/societe/monsieur-bechara-tarabay-343059028.html and also read important details that should be known.

Reply To: power of attorney
Your information: