Why Do People At Ins. Co. Do This ?

Home Forums Everything Caregiving Why Do People At Ins. Co. Do This ?

This topic contains 8 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  robertbisbee 4 months, 1 week ago.

• Author

Susan
    Participant

Hi!

I’m starting to hate he people who work at Ins. Companies. It’s not just one company. It’s all of them. My husband is the Cancer patient… But he can’t always answer them correctly. But they won’t speak to me because I’m just the wife of the patient. How do you get Insurance agents / workers to speak to you?

Susan

• #48769 Reply

Debra
    Participant

Hi Susan,

When advocating for my mom, I have called different companies and asked what they needed from a legal perspective for me to speak with them on my mothers behalf. Typically, it is a letter from your mother/husband that states who you are (wife/daughter) with full contact information to them giving permission for them to speak to you. HIPAA laws get dicey for these companies if they don’t have permission from the patient.

There have also been times when I handed the phone to my mother and she gave verbal permission over the phone for me to speak with the agent.

If you have not done it already, consider getting the paperwork completed for durable power of attorney for finances and health care proxy in case they ask for these legal documents. I hope this article helps: http://advocateformomanddad.com/4-tips-as-parents-caregiver/

• #48775 Reply

Susan
    Participant

Hi Debra!

Thank You for replying ! It was very helpful. I’ll have to write a letter and have Paul ( My Husband ) sign it. ( The way his right hand shakes, I do all of the writing anymore.)

He won’t hand the phone over to me yet. He thinks he can handle it. But what he doesn’t realize yet, is that he mis-speaks all of the time. ( He has Brain Cancer / Glioblastoma Stage 4 ) I wish I knew how to break it to him that he is having more speaking problems than he thinks he does. He’s PROUD. ๐Ÿ™‚

Thank You for your help ๐Ÿ™‚

Susan

• #48820 Reply

Debra
      Participant

Hi Susan,

The best of luck to you with the insurance companies and with advocating for your husband, but with his blessing.

Debra

• #49688 Reply

Allison Powell
    Participant

This is such a tough problem…and so common! My gram was the same way. She wouldn’t let my parents handle her finances and insurance stuff until it was a huge mess. It was a real challenge when my husband was first recovering, too. It was tough to get him to trust me with stuff because he thought he was better than he was.

I wish there was an automatic process for caregivers to take over legal matters, although I understand why they make it so hard because of the potential for abuse.

• #50409 Reply

Christine

Dealing with insurance companies is always such a nightmare. How did things work out?

• #50584 Reply

Kim Winn

Make a medical power of attorney but most of all just ask them for their authorisation form and then fill it out and send it in. I have to do that for every single provider and pharmacy .

• #50605 Reply

Susan
    Participant

Too All Repliers !

I have read all of the advice and ideas posted here, and our insurance company is a bit more willing to talk to me. ๐Ÿ™‚

I’m hoping to have found a little help paying for his chemotherapy.. I think it’s called a subsidy.

Thanks to all !

Susan

• #63160 Reply

robertbisbee
    Participant

Informative thread. Facing the same situation currently. My grandmother too did not trust us on the matter of power of attorney completely until we let our family lawyer explained her about all the legal process. It was tough for her to build trust on me too but at last she did. A lawyer and his additional hints can help us out and so many ways and hiring their services would benefit us greatly.

Reply To: Why Do People At Ins. Co. Do This ?
Your information: